Awarded ice typography for Icehotel
Our challenge was to come up with a design and build art suites for the seasonal Icehotel and year around Icehotel 365. The finished work had to be made all out of snow and ice and work as an art exhibition during day time and accommodate sleeping guests at night.
- Design of two 4×5 m art suites that both work as art and a hotel room.
- Only use ice, snice (packed snow and ice ) and Torne River ice.
- Build by hand in a team of two during 14 days per room.
Once our concept got selected we refined, planned and templated or designs. Upon arrival we had 14 days or 336 hours to turn our design into shimmering Torne river ice.
- Concept, design and refinement.
- Planning and templating.
- Hands on work in snow, snice and ice, using chainsaw, chisels and shovel.
- Our first art suite was created for the 25th anniversary of the Seasonal Icehotel, 2015
- Our second art suite was created for the opening of Icehotel 365, 2017
The art suite for the 25th anniversary of the Seasonal Icehotel 2015, turned out to be well appreciated and accommodated hundreds of guests during its 4 month service, before meltdown in spring. The design was awarded by The Type Directors Club New York, exhibited around the world and got published in leading design magazines. The art suite for the opening of Icehotel 365, 2017 is still in service.
- Well appreciated by hundreds of guests and Icehotel
- TDC Award and world tour exhibit.
- Acknowledgement by leading design magazines in Europe and the US.